Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sultana -- Food or Foe?

There are some things in the Aussie vocabulary that still make me double take and think about what I just heard. One such word is "sultana". So, here I am in the Yogurt Shoppe looking at different flavors of freshly made yogurt with fruit toppings and one of the signs reads, "Apples, Sultanas and Cinnamon". I am staring at the concoction in the refrigerated case trying to figure out what exactly are sultanas. In the midst of my confusion I quietly ask my mother-in-law and she explains that they are dried grapes. I thought how silly to have a name that means nothing like dried grape, and then I remembered that in the USA we call them raisins or currents - two more names that have nothing apparent to do with grapes. Out of my curiosity I looked it up (good 'ole wikipedia)...

Sultana (grape)
The sultana (also called the sultanina or sultaninini) is a type of white, seedless grape of Turkish, Greek or Iranian origin. It is also the name given to the raisin made from it; such sultana raisins are often called simply sultanas or sultanis. These are typically larger than the currants made from Zante grapes, but smaller than "normal" raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment