Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thought of the Day #4 -- "Sleep"

Sleep... it is the time of day when you are seemingly not accomplishing anything, but it is 100% necessary to live your life.

O sleep, O gentle sleep,
Nature's soft nurse, how have I frighted thee,
That thou no more wilt weigh my eyelids down
And steep my sense in forgetfulness?
~William Shakespeare, Henry IV, Part I

When deprived of sleep we become cranky, inefficient and possibly destructive. When you have too much sleep you can become addicted to sleep and want more of it.

Who is to say what is the right amount of sleep... and does the average 8 hours work for everyone all the time?

Sleep is on my mind as I put my darling daughter in her bed each night, I wonder what dreams she is having, if she will sleep well and awake rested and alert, and if she wonders where I went after I left her in her bed. I am sadly now obsessed with nap times and bed times and waking from sleep, or not waking a sleeping baby; so much so that I've begun to wonder if I am getting enough sleep.  

Sleep Related Sayings:

1 comment:

  1. Yes.. this was friday's thought. As you can see I posted it on saturday. Why? you ask. Because I fell asleep about 9:30 pm friday night and woke up at 4:00 am only to crawl back into bed and go back to sleep... who wants to be up at 4 am? It's cold in the winter at night in Perth!

    ReplyDelete